Left Gas Stove On Without Flame | What To Do If You Left The Gas On

Business Hours

Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Seniors living at home face a unique series of challenges associated with aging. Sometimes, forgetfulness can lead to potentially dangerous scenarios; for example, if you forget to turn a gas stove off and realize it much later, what should you do? This article will discuss what to do if you left gas stove on without flame. We’ll talk about what happens, why it’s dangerous, and how to remove gas from your home. Finally, we’ll tell you how you can prevent an accident like this from occurring again.

Left Gas Stove On Without Flame: Is It Dangerous?

It can happen to anybody – you make a pot of coffee and accidentally forget to turn the gas off. Well, what do you do when you come to discover it much later?

The first thing to do is to turn off all of your gas knobs immediately. Don’t light any flames, turn on any lights or electrical appliances like toasters or kettles, or create a spark of any kind! Leaving a gas stove on, even without a flame, can cause a very dangerous situation in which the gas can ignite, causing a fire.

What To Do To Ensure Safety

If you discover you left a gas stove on, notice if you smell gas in the area. While flammable gas itself is odorless, gas providers add a little blend of odor to their gas to make it easier to detect leaks. This gives the gas a sulfur-like smell that people usually describe as smelling like rotten eggs. Sometimes, though, you may not be able to detect a gas leak by smell alone, especially if you’re older, have nasal or breathing issues, or have an impaired sense of smell.

Evacuate the House and Call 911 Immediately

As soon as you discover a gas leak, get everyone out of the house – including any pets. Call 911 immediately. Emergency responders will be able to inspect your home and gas line for any leaks or a dangerous amount of gas.

Should I Open The Windows?

You might think that opening the windows is a good idea to air out the house. While this is true, the exact amount of time you need to air out your house depends on how much gas has accumulated. The best thing to do is to wait for emergency personnel to arrive. They will tell you whether it is safe to air the house out and how long you should wait before going back inside.

Remember that inhaling flammable gas is never a good idea, and you may be exposed to unhealthy amounts of it if you choose to air out the house and stay inside. Even if you can’t smell the gas anymore, it may still be present and dangerous, and your nose may have gotten used to the smell.

How To Prevent Accidents from Happening

We recommend that all senior homeowners use a carbon monoxide detector and a combustible gas leak detector. They’re available as plug-in devices at most home improvement stores. A gas leak detector will alert you before a situation can become dangerous.

If you’re sure how to install a gas leak detector, contact a qualified provider of senior living products. They’ll be able to determine the best solution for your needs.

Home Comfort Solutions is a “total solution” provider of aging-in-place modifications and products. This means we perform evaluation, installation, routine maintenance, and repair. Our 30+ years of combined experience allows us to help seniors age in place with dignity, comfort, and safety. Call us today with any of your questions at (713) 623-1388.