So you’ve decided to go the aging in place route and are planning on equipping your home. Great! What better way to allow your loved ones the independence and freedom of living in the comfort of their own homes? Therefore, it’s a great idea to go for an aging-in-place home assessment. But before you build your shopping list, it’s important to know not only exactly what you’re buying but why.
This post will serve as your guide to understanding what an aging in place home assessment involves, why it’s important, and how it will benefit your needs.
What Is An Aging In Place Home Assessment?
The purpose of an aging-in-place home assessment is to give you an idea of what you will need to adapt your home to your needs successfully. For example, you might need a total overhaul of your home to accommodate a senior loved one who can’t walk without help or who is dependent on a spouse to care for them. Having an aging in place home assessment is a great idea to give them a sense of security, safety, and comfort in their own home.
Why Get An Assessment?
It’s a common issue for older people that no other place will seem like home apart from their abode. But that said, it’s hard for anyone new to the aging in place concept to plan because you never know when your needs might grow or change.
A professional assessment from qualified aging in place provider will take into account many variables, such as:
- Any chronic conditions or diseases you may have (e.g., diabetes, COPD, mobility issues)
- The number of family members or caregivers expected to live with you
- Accommodations for visiting family members
- Your daily routine, including household chores, meals, and cleaning
- Your frequency of getting around to get groceries, run errands and visit family
They will then go room by room in your house and see what needs to be addressed to accommodate your needs best. The best part is that they already have a catalog of solutions and the experience necessary to install them. Some solutions include:
- Walk-in or wheelchair-accessible showers, bathtubs, bathrooms, etc.
- Kitchens with safety features such as non-slip flooring, emergency buttons, etc.
- Ceiling lifts for seniors with mobility issues
- Doorways and entryways widened for wheelchair accessibility
- Outlets and light switches repositioned for convenience
- Technology solutions for common conveniences, e.g., television, telephone, or computer usage
- Security systems for comfortable management and surveillance of their property
An Assessment Gives You Peace of Mind
In conclusion, an aging in place home assessment gives you peace of mind. It’s always best to refer to someone with experience, especially for something as precious as your loved one’s comfort. Studies show that not only is aging in place cheaper than institutional care in the long term, it’s also more liberating. And, of course, having a support network of friends and family is always a great idea. So, as your loved ones transition gracefully into their senior years, a company that has your back is a great relief.
Home Comfort Solutions is a “total solution” provider of aging-in-place modifications and products. This means we perform evaluation, installation, routine maintenance, and repair. Our 30+ years of combined experience allows us to help you age in place with dignity, comfort, and safety. Call us today with any of your questions at (713) 623-1388.